After much anticipation, my husband Geoff and I am so happy to announce the birth of our daughter Madeline Julia McCallum! Madeline was born on Wednesday June 4th and weighed 7lbs 6oz. She's doing great and I am recovering well. I am enjoying the beginning of maternity leave bonding with my little angel. Wishing you all a great summer!
As with indoor volleyball, beach volleyball players can be prone to similar injuries. A research study on professional beach volleyball players found the most common acute injuries that resulted in missing practice or competition were knee (30%), ankle (17%), and finger injuries (17%). The three most common overuse conditions were low back pain (19%), knee pain (12%), and shoulder problems (10%). First aid injuries can also occur if there is garbage hidden in the sand creating cuts, bleeds or sprains. Hot weather can cause sunburns, heat stroke, and dehydration. Beginner and more experienced beach volleyball players may also be susceptible to similar injuries as professional beach players. It is important to review some key points to prevent these injuries.
Tips to Prevent Common Beach Volleyball Injuries
* Make sure to survey the beach court before playing to make sure there is no debris that you might land on and hurt yourself (keep a first aid kit with you)
* Bring layers of clothes to wear if the weather is cold and sun protection for hot days as well as lots of water to drink and food/snacks for longer tournament days
* Arrive early enough to practices, games and tournaments to allow time for a thorough full body warm up (including dynamic movements and stretching)
* Consider doing a flexibility, strength and conditioning program throughout the summer to prevent overuse injuries and get stronger for the indoor season (include core exercises and shoulder strengthening for the rotator cuff muscles)
* Minimize any preliminary injuries with manual therapy treatment from your chiropractor, physiotherapist, massage therapist, athletic therapist, osteopath, etc.
Click here read the full article!
Get to Know Dr. Steph
I love being a chiropractor! Along with my clinical practice, combining my career with my sports passion has also lead me on a worldly adventure traveling as Canadian National Diving team chiropractor. My biggest adventure thus far is being a mother of two amazing little girls, Madeline and Zoey!